I Want Cereal!Posted: 08/16/2012
A few nights ago I dreamed I ate a very large bowl of cereal. But, it wasn’t just any cereal, it was one of the foods I had the hardest time breaking up with when I began to eat a cleaner diet. My ex…Kashi Go Lean Crunch. You know, the cereal that boasts it contains as much protein as an egg (and 13x the sugar, but that is a completely different blog post). I practically lived on the stuff, and sometimes I just miss it. So, instead of buying a box of trouble, I made something that would satisfy both my craving and my commitment to my health.
Grain Free Granola
- 1/2 c coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 c honey
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c raw sunflower seeds
- 1 c raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 c raw sliced almonds
- 1 c raw chopped pecans
- 2 c shredded unsweetened coconut (split in 1/2)
- 1 c dried blueberries
- 1 c dried cherries
- 1 c dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 300°
- Melt coconut oil and honey together.
- Stir in cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, pecans and 1 c of the shredded coconut to the bowl.
- Mix ingredients until evenly coated.
- Spread mixture evenly onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 – 25 min, turning the granola 1/2 way through to prevent burning.
- Let the mixture cool for 5 – 10 min.
- Sprinkle remaining shredded coconut, blueberries, cranberries and cherries on top of the baked granola.
- Using a spatula, mix thoroughly on the cookie sheet.
- ENJOY!! Oh, and try not to eat the whole batch at once…it will be tempting, but if you eat too much it will give you a tummy ache.
*This recipe was inspired by Juli from PaleOMG (http://paleomg.com/paleo-granola/)