This comforting and velvety soup is sure to take the chill out of any wintery night!
- 3 medium butternut squash
- 1 29 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 large onion
- 2 32 oz boxes of chicken stock
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp Herbs de Provence
- 1 can coconut milk
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Bake the butternut squash in the oven at 375° for 90 minutes or until easily pierced with a knife.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- Once cool, slice the roasted butternut squash in half and remove the seeds.
- With a spoon, scoop out the flesh and set aside.
- In an 8 quart soup pot melt 1 tbsp butter.
- Chop 1 large onion and add to the pot with 1 tbsp of Herbs de Provence.
- Sautee onions until soft.
- Add to the pot 2 32oz boxes of chicken stock, the roasted butternut squash, and the can of pumpkin.
- Simmer on low for at least 30 minutes. The longer this soup simmers, the more rich and complex the flavors.
- Using a stick blender, blend all ingredients until a uniform puree is achieved.
- Add one can of coconut milk.
- Using the stick blender, blend until the coconut milk is evenly incorporated.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve piping hot.
*For a heartier soup try adding sausage medallions. Simply cook your choice of sausage, slice into 1/2 in thick medallions and add to soup before serving!
** Find that you have no time to roast the Butternut squash? No big deal. Buy the pre-cut raw butternut squash in the fresh produce section or in the frozen foods section of your grocery store. Add the butternut squash chunks to the broth and simmer until soft. Then add the pumpkin and follow the rest of the recipe!