Today is Mardi Gras a.k.a. Fat Tuesday or Shrove Tuesday. While most might consider Fat Tuesday a holiday of complete food gluttony, there is one food in particular that is closely associated with today. That food is pancakes.
Why pancakes? Pancakes are a fast and easy way to use up all of the flour, sugar, and butter a household might have on hand the night before the tradition of fasting for lent begins on Ash Wednesday. The word Shrove can be traced back to the English word shrive, meaning to confess.
So, how can we join indulge in a traditional Mardi Gras food celebration without having to confess we’ve stuffed ourselves full of flour and sugar? Simple – try Almond Flour Pancakes instead.
- 2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or almond milk
- Mash the banana in a large bowl.
- Mix all ingredients together until well incorporated. More coconut milk or almond milk may be necessary to achieve the proper batter consistency.
- Cook on a buttered skillet exactly like regular pancakes.
- Serve piping hot with REAL maple syrup.
See…with a few substitutions you don’t have to miss a thing! Enjoy your Mardi Gras!
This post inspired by the Foodimentary.