Hot Breakfast for a Chilly MorningPosted: 10/13/2011
This morning was a hot breakfast kind of morning. There is nothing like a nice warm bowl of something hearty to take the chill out of a rainy day like this one.
Usually when it comes to hot breakfast options, scrambled eggs are my go-to choice. But this morning I wanted a little something sweet, not my usual savory. So I took a look at what was in the kitchen, and this is what I came up with….
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tsp coconut oil or butter
- 1/2 c lite coconut milk
- 1/3 c unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or more to taste)
- 4 Omega-3 enriched eggs
- Melt coconut oil or butter in a skillet.
- Add bananas. Sauté until browned then mash.
- Add coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add shredded coconut, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
- Stir for 1-2 minutes while the shredded coconut absorbs most of the liquid.
- Scramble 4 eggs in a bowl and add to skillet.
- Stir and cook until eggs are the desired consistency.
- Serve hot.
Customize your breakfast with a sprinkle of your favorite nuts or seeds! Try almonds, pecans, or pumpkin seeds.
If bananas aren’t your thing, try these substitutes:
- 1/2 cooked sweet potato & 1 Tsp honey
- 1/4 c raisins & 1 Tsp Honey