Two weeks ago I traveled to England, a country more notorious for its culinary fare than celebrated for it. I was warned about the serious lack of vegetables that would befall my plate and encouraged to try a traditional full English breakfast. I had heard stories about the unbelievable good Indian food, and of course, the Fish n Chips.
For the majority of our trip I tried to make consistently healthy choices because that is when I look, feel, and perform my best. But, what kind of experience would traveling be if I did not partake in the food? A full English breakfast became my morning meal and the Indian food exceeded expectation, but it wasn’t until the end of our trip that the opportunity for Fish n Chips finally arose.
Was it delicious? Yes. But, did I want to eat it again the next day like my English breakfast? No. I’d loved the crunch of the batter and flavor combinations of the fish and tartar sauce, but heavily friend food does not leave you feeling even close to good.
So, here I was…wanting to taste those flavors and have that crunch, but not at the expense of feeling like crap after the meal was over.
The solution was last night’s dinner, Fish n Chips…sort of. This meal provided the crunch and flavor profile of fried fish with tarter sauce and a version of chips far tastier than what you’d find in a pub.
- 2 lb cod fillets
- 1/4 c organic canola mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 c almond flour
- 1/2 c dill relish
- 6 strips crumbled uncured bacon
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Lay the cod fillets in an aluminum foil lined baking dish.
- Smear cod fillets with the mayonnaise until coated.
- In a bowl mix the almond flour, dill relish, and bacon until well incorporated.
- Spread the topping mixture onto the cod fillets.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 – 25 min or until the cod fillets flake with a fork.
(I pop my fish under the broiler for the last 2-3 minutes to get a extra crunch on my topping)
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- Thinly slice the sweet potatoes and place on an oiled cookie sheet.
- Lightly drizzle the sweet potato slices with olive oil.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in a 325 oven for 30 – 45 min until either soft or crispy depending on your preference and the thickness of the sweet potato slices.